WELCOME TO 5A’s CLASS PAGE!
Permission slips have been sent home for our annual class trip. We will be visiting The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia on March 16th. Yes, just one month away, so that we may take advantage of the exciting interactive exhibit they currently have on survival before it leaves the museum. In order to have all our tickets mailed to us in time we need to collect the student permission slips and the trip fee of $60 per person for each individual planning to attend by February 26th. We will once again try to accomodate all parents who wish to join us as chaperones. Please be sure you have all your clearances as a volunteer before submitting your payment. We will begin boarding the bus at 7:15 a.m. in order to be on the road no later than 7:30 so that we may arrive in time for our first scheduled event. Our estimated time of return is 5:30 p.m.
Please join me on Remind App! I will post homework and quick reminders each week that I think may be useful. Download from the App Store or Google Play to your phones or mobile devices. There is no limit to the number of devices that may join. Once you download the app, click “Join a Class“. Then, enter this class code: @class5ast. Voila! You’re in!
Look for us on Facebook! Fifth Grade Happenings at St. Jane School. We will post pictures of some of the fun we are having here in grade 5. This venue will allow us to post small and large quantities of photos exclusive to classes 5A & 5B. Hope to see you there!
February 24 – 28
Religion: We will begin our look into Chapter 15, A Girft of Strength. Students will explain the Christian attitude toward suffering and how they can imitate Jesus. A test is planned for next week Tuesday, 3/3.
Math: We have skipped ahead in Math and have begun our work on trangles and polygons. We will continue with our Daily Skills Quizzes so keep practicing those fractions. IXL is a great resource for practicing fractions and multiplication. Extra help this week, Wednesday with a dismissal note.
ILA: This is a Reading Log week four entries due on Friday. Three Spelling activities (spelling packet or on spellingcity.com) due this week by the test Friday. New vocabulary will be introduced for our work in Reading on poetry. Vocabulary test will be on Monday, 3/2. The Reading test is tentatively set for 3/3. We will also be working on Verbs and writing a five paragraph essay on “A Person I Admire”.
Science: We will be beginning our study of weather and the water cycle. Students will have notes to study and will be making their own index cards to help studying the vocabulary they will be responsible for this chapter. In class we will have many discussions and activities to aid in their understanding and memorization of many of these terms. There will be quizzes and class work along the way before the unit test is scheduled.
Week at a Glance
Monday: Library Test- measuring angles
Friday: Spelling Test
- Tuesday, February 25 – Fastnacht Day, everyone will get a fastnacht from Valley Farms
- Wednesday, February 26 – Ash Wednesday Mass 8:15 a.m.
- Thursday, February 27 – HAWKWALK Letter Writing Day
- Tuesday March 3 – End of 2nd Trimester (tentatively)
- Thursday, March 5 – 8:15 Mass and pretzel day
- Friday, March 6 – 1:00 p.m. Stations of the Cross (with priest)
- Wednesday, March 11 – CoGats Grades 3, 5 & 7
- Wednesday, March 11 – 2nd Trimester Report Cards sent home (tentatively)
- Thursday, March 12 – Confessions 9:00 a.m.
- Friday, March 13 – 1:00 Stations of the Cross (with priest)
- Monday, March 16 – 5th grade Class Trip to Franklin Institute
- Thursday, March 19 – 8:15 Mass & pretzel day
- Monday, March 23 – ITBS begin in grades 2-7
- Friday, March 27 – 1:00 Stations of the Cross (with priest)
- Monday: Library-every other week
- Tuesday: Computers
- Wednesday: Physical Education and Music
- Thursday: Spanish (Health has been completed for the school year)
- Friday: Art
Fifth Grade Policies
- If your child is absent from school one day there is no need to send in for homework. If your child misses school for two or more days, please feel free to call in for homework. Please call in before eleven o’clock to allow us time to gather materials needed for your child.
Religion: Christ Our Life
Spelling: Spelling City
Scholastic’s Study Jams! (covers Math and Science)
All subjects: https://www.ixl.com/
*More parent information can be found online at www.stjaneschool.com/parents/