Notices and Dates to Remember:
2A is in dire need of tissues and paper towels. We would appreciate any donations if at all possible!
This will help us try to stay healthy during cold and flu season. Thank you in advance! :)
Olympic Re-Registration Race: Please return your 2017-2018 Re-Registration Form ASAP. 2A is looking to win the Gold!
This Week ...
Monday, January 15 - School Closed. Local In-Service Day
Wednesday, January 17 - Mid-Trimester Reports
Thursday, January 18 - Reconciliation Second Parent Session. 7 p.m. at St. Jane Church (Hartley Ave.) One parent must attend this meeting or a make-up.
Looking Ahead ...
Monday, January 22 - Make-up Second Parent Session. 7 p.m. in Msgr. Gobitas Meeting Room.
Tuesday, January 23 - Make-up Second Parent Session. 7. p.m. in Msgr. Gobitas Meeting Room.
Friday, January 26 - St. Jane Adult Social. 7:00 P.M. to 12:00 AM at blue grillhouse
Saturday, January 27 - Phantoms Ice Hockey Game. St. Jane Spirit Night - Hope to see you there :)
Sunday, January 28 - Catholic Schools Week Kick Off. 10:30 a.m. Mass followed by Open House from 12-2.
Band Concert 1:00 p.m. Spaghetti Dinner 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Scholastic Book Fair 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday, January 30 - Open House. 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.
February 1 - Open House. 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Scholastic Book Fair 4:00 tp 6:00 p.m.
February 2 - Noon Dismissal.
Other Communication Notes:
Please do not hesitate to email me with any questions or concerns. I will get back to you ASAP, but please note the school policy of allowing a grace period of 24 hours to respond.
SJF Communication Folder: Please refer to the Weekly Communication Folder for additional school information.
Scholastic Book Club: Class Code RD697. Order online or send in check (payable to Scholastic Books) with order form.
Tuesday: Music & Art
Friday: Health & Library
What We Are Learning This Week:
Unit 3: Jesus Gives Us the Gift of Peace
Chapter 14: Jesus Calls Us His Friends (Unit 3 Review)
Ask me ...
- to share the story of Martha and Mary.
- to explain how we show our friendship with Jesus through both prayer and service to others.
- to share other stories of forgiveness (examples: Zacchaeus, King David, the Lost Sheep).
- to tell you the difference between a temptation and a sin.
- to explain how the Holy Spirit helps us in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
- to define penance, confess, and pardon.
- to define contrition and absolution.
- to tell you the steps of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
- to practice praying the Act of Contrition.
Data and Graphs: Using Operations
(Test on Friday 1/19)
Ask me ...
- to draw, read, and interpret picture graphs.
- to tell and describe to you the parts of a picture graph.
- to draw, read, and interpret bar graphs.
- to tell and describe to you the parts of a bar graph.
- to tell you how data can be gathered (a survey) and recorded in a tally chart.
- to show you how the information in the tally chart can be displayed in a bar graph (I should include in my demonstration how I make a title and labels for the bar graph)
- to interpret the bar graph (ask and answer questions about the data in the bar graph).
- to compare data from two different sources using the same survey.
- to read and interpret circle graphs.
- to draw, read, and interpret line plots.
- to use information from a graph to solve problems.
Practice addition and subtraction facts up to 20.
Log on to FirstInMath to practice your facts and earn stickers!
Unit 3 Week 3 Spelling Pre-Test will be on Tuesday (1/16)
Unit 3 Week 3 Spelling Test will be on Wednesday (1/17)
Unit 3 Week 3 Reading Test will be on Wednesday (1/17)
Unit 3 Week 3: Ways People Help
How can people help out their community?
Oral Vocabulary: artist, celebration, commented, community, mural
High-Frequency Words: better, group, long, more, only, our, started, three, who, won't
Vocabulary: across, borrow, countryside, idea, insists, lonely, solution, villages
Word Work Skills:
Phonemic Awareness -
Identify and Generate Rhyme, Phoneme Categorization, Phoneme Blending
Long o: o, oa, oe, ow
Structural Analysis -
Contractions with 's, 're, 'll, 've
Unit 3 Week 4: Weather Alert!
How does weather affect us?
Structural Analysis: Contractions with 's, 're, 'll, 've
Oral Vocabulary: reflect, gloomy, rises, pleasant, predict
High-Frequency Words: before, every, would, after, hear, few, special, old, hurt, first
Vocabulary: damage, dangerous, destroy, event, harsh, prevent, warning, weather
Long e: e, ee, ea, ie, y, ey
we, bee, need, queen, mean, leaf, thief, chief, pony, keys, grow, toe, after, every, special
Check out the Reading Wonders Website:
Present-Tense Verbs (Test Thurs 1/18):
*Practice rapid recall of math facts each night: addition and subtraction up to 20.
*Read a new book!
Spelling: Study Words; Pre-Test tomorrow
Religion: p. 103
Math: p. 41
Spelling: Study Words; Test Tomorrow
Practice Vocabulary Words
Library Book due Tomorrow.
Religion: Study for Unit 3 Test
Math: Review Worksheet; Study for Test on Graphs
Spelling: p. 67
Sign Test Folder.
Religion: LoyolaPress Grade 2 Religion Resources
ABCya! Second Grade Games and Apps Math, Language Arts, Reading, and more
Sadlier-Oxford Math Grade 2 Practice Skills, Math Minutes
NCTM Illuminations Math Interactives
FirstInMath (log in, reinforce and enhance math skills and concepts)